Bofrot, Boflot, Togbei – Ghana
Fried dough. Ghana-style.
1. Measure out the liquid ( warm water or warm water/wine combination)) into a bowl, Stir in the sugar to dissolve.
2. Sprinkle in the yeast.
3. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the mixture to begin to bubble.
4. Measure out the flour and have the nutmeg, baking powder, salt.
5. Once the yeast begins to foam, add the ⅓ egg and mix it with the liquids Gradually sift and stir in the flour.
6. Add the nutmeg, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
7. Mix well, and cover the bowl with a cloth and allow it to sit in a warm place for at least 2 hours. It should at least double in size, so the bowl needs to be large enough.
8. Heat up the oil until it’s 375F. You can try adding a little bit of dough, if it sizzles and floats to the surface, the oil is hot enough.
9. Scoop each bofrot with an oil soup spoon, or in the palm of your hands if you are experienced.
10. Slide into the oil and cook evenly on all sides until brown.
Rate this recipe, leave comments, suggestions and ask questions in the space below!
Want to try this recipe? Sign up and save it in your recipe box!