Peanut butter soup, sauce arachide, mafé – West Africa
Peanut butter soup is one of the soups commonly found in West Africa. It is also known as mafé.
1. Put enough oil in the sauce pan to fully cover the bottom. Nnce the oil is hot, add the chicken, some garlic and salt and adobo.
2. Brown the chicken, turning it from time to time to allow all the sides to be evenly done
3. Once all the chicken pieces are a golden brown, add about 2 cups of water and turn the heat up. Then the water is boiling, add in the tomato paste and the peanut butter.
4. Mix with a wooden spoon to allow the tomato and peanut butter to be uniformly distributed
5. Add the chopped green pepper, if using one
6. Turn the heat on medium and let the soup cook. This is the step where your chicken will cook, so make sure to allow enough time (20-25min).
7. The soup is ready when there is some oil on the surface. You can poke through the chicken a little bit to make sure it is cooked through. If not, leave the soup on the stovetop on low heat for a little while longer.
8. Serve with white rice
Rate this recipe, leave comments, suggestions and ask questions in the space below!
Want to try this recipe? Sign up and save it in your recipe box!